Tuesday, July 7, 2009

Lake Tahoe Rubicon Trail July 6, 2009


Polly and I decided that a quiet day was needed to recover from the lovely weekend we had just endured, I mean enjoyed. So we left everyone behind and headed to Lake Tahoe to explore a new trail that she and Bart had discovered the previous weekend. It is approximately a two hour drive from Polly's house, but worth every minute. Polly had warned me that it was a fairly flat hike, but was so beautiful that you forgave it's lack of incline. I am not sure where she went hiking last weekend, but it couldn't possibly have been this place. It was indeed beautiful, however, far from flat. This is my new favorite hike and will be until the next hike. My favorite hike always seems to be the one I am on. The only negative was the allergy attacks we both had. I would highly recommend taking allergy medicine with you even if you do not normally suffer from allergies.








I am sure they don't mean me.



















We learned a new terminology this week, PUD. Can anyone guess what a PUD is? When beginning a hike, PUD's are fun. By the time you get to the end of a 12.5 mile hike, you will be making every attempt to avoid the PUD's.












The trail takes you around the lake, so you have an amazing view from start to finish.














We came across a bench that overlooked the lake and decided we should stop an enjoy the view. As soon as we sat down Polly spotted an Osprey enjoying his lunch on a tree right in front of us.












You have heard of tree huggers, Polly is a tree sniffer. According to her, the tree smells like butterscotch. It appears to be catching on as she had other hikers sniffing trees as well. Personally, I was looking for the candid camera.









This is one of those hikes that you can't wait to do again. From start to finish, this was a best day ever.

1 comment:

  1. OK I give, what is a PUD, also I don't remember getting credit for researching the answers on the words from your Austrailia trip

    ReplyDelete

Followers

Contributors

Polly, my sister, and I began hiking about five years ago. We immediately fell in love with the whole outdoor experience.  Spending  the day away from the worries of the world is like taking a mini vacation. Money cannot buy therapy like this.One day as we were hiking we were making fun of KaRyn, Polly's daughter.  She had called Polly two weekends in a row describing how she had just had her "best day ever." As we were laughing and trying to figure out how each day was her best day ever it occurred to us that she might be on to something.  Each day should be your best day ever.  And that is how we began to think of our Saturday hikes,  the "best day ever" with the exception of Mt. Rawlston, but that is a story for another day.